there really is lead in your lipstick…21 February 2012
According to a recent study conducted by the FDA, 400 popular lipsticks were found to contain lead.
Why is this bad?
“Lead, a proven neurotoxin linked to learning and behavioral disorders, is one of the most studied heavy metals. Exposure to lead can cause learning, language and behavioral problems such as lowered IQ, impulsiveness, reduced school performance, increased aggression, seizures and brain damage, anemia, and, after long exposure, damage to the kidneys. Lead has also been linked to miscarriage, reduced fertility in both men and women, hormonal changes, menstrual irregularities and delays in the onset of puberty in girls” (safecosmetics.org)
But we are not actually eating it…
According to Glamour magazine’s June 2002 “Beauty Quickie Tip” “Women inadvertently (but harmlessly) eat about 4 lbs of lipstick in a lifetime.” Sorry ladies but the latest science shows that no level of lead is “harmless.”
Is there lead in YOUR lipstick?
A list of the top 10 shades and brands that the FDA found to contain the most lead:
1. Maybelline’s Color Sensation in Pink Petal. (Lead content: 7.19 ppm)
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche in Volcanic. (Lead content: 7.00 ppm)
3. NARS Semi-Matte in Red Lizard. (Lead content: 4.93 ppm)
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues Color in Ruby Remix (Lead content: 4.92 ppm)
5. NARS Semi-Matte in Funny Face. (Lead content: 4.89)
6. L’Oreal Colour Rich in Tickled Pink. (Lead content: 4.45)
7. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor in Heroic. (Lead content: 4.41)
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color in Warm Brick. (Lead content: 4.28)
9. Maybelline Color Sensational in Mauve Me. (Lead content: 4.23)
10. Stargazer lipstick in shade “c.” (Lead content: 4.12)
For an analysis of all 400 lipsticks click here for the FDA listing.