real life nutrition: chelsey reid17 July 2015
I first met Chelsey while doing an internship at a naturopathic clinic in Muskoka the summer I graduated from IHN. Chelsey was teaching fitness and yoga classes, and we instantly connected over healthy food, books and natural products. Her classes were super fun and high energy, often taught outside on the dock, which made them pass by so quickly I barely knew I was working out (although my body definitely reminded me the next day!) Chelsey now runs a successful personal training and fitness business in Muskoka, has a cute new baby body and an awesome work/life/play balance!
1. Name: Chelsey Reid
2. Occupation: Kinesiologist and Fitness Professional based in Muskoka
3. Breakfast is usually: A smoothie with 1/4 cup of berries, a dollop of Greek yogurt, a scoop of protein powder, as much kale and Swiss chard as I can stuff into my NutriBullet, and water to make it smooth.
4. Coffee, tea or green juice: One coffee in the morning with a dash of 5% cream (my daily indulgence). I turn to green tea for a lunchtime boost.
5. Favourite time + place to grocery shop: Friday mornings at the Rosseau Market.
6. Always in your cart: Kale, Swiss Chard, Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Greek Yogurt.
7. Exercise routine: With my 5 month old baby, I try and do workouts that are as effective and efficient as possible. My routine is to do a 30 to 40 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) routine involving my little man as much as possible. We burn a ton of calories and I get him giggling through the the explosive movements. It’s my favourite time of day.
8. Favourite way to wind down and relax: Cooking with my husband over a glass of wine… Or two.
9. Biggest health obstacle: Sour penny candy. My really guilty pleasure.
10. How you make time for health in your life: I don’t have to make time for health. Living healthy is my life.
11. One thing you will never give up: Investing into my own fitness. As a personal trainer, many assume that I can simply train myself. However, having others instruct and train me provides an opportunity to turn my brain off, focus on me, and becomes my restorative practise.
12. Always in your fridge: Hard boiled eggs.
13. Your cooking inspiration comes from: My husband. He comes from an upbringing of hearty meals. It is my mission to provide my family with all of the satisfaction and nourishment they need while being extremely health conscious.
14. Go-to meal + recipe: Spicy Shrimp Quinoa Bowl
|Spicy Shrimp Quinoa Bowl||
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 head of broccoli
- 10 mini Bella mushrooms, quartered
- 5 jalapeños
- 20 peeled, uncooked shrimp
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 cup of snow peas, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 lime
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt
- Toss cubed sweet potatoes in 2 tbs of olive oil
- Bake on baking sheet with parchment paper at 375 for 20 – 25mins
- Add 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water
- Bring to boil
- Simmer for 15 mins
- Toss all veggies (except one jalapeño) in minimal olive oil and place in a BBQ grill basket
- Grill veggies for 10 minutes until tender crisp
- Toss shrimp in cayenne and chilli powder
- Add shrimp to veggies and continue to cook on BBQ for 8 mins until colour comes vibrant
- Combine cooked quinoa, sweet potatoes, veggies and shrimp into a bowl
- For the dressing: Blend all ingredients in blender and pour over quinoa bowl as desired. If you like spicy, keep the seeds in the jalapeños, if not, remove all seeds.
- DEVOUR & ENJOY!
*note from Tara: Shrimp can be a great source of protein and other nutrients, but when shopping, it is important to look for wild-caught from clean waters. Imported shrimp are often associated with questionable farming practices, which can lead to contaminated fish as well as serious environmental damage. Always choose wild shrimp over farmed and use a credible guide like this one as a reference for buying sustainable shrimp.
Follow Chelsey on instagram for super simple work-out tips and videos to get you moving at home (with or without baby!)