real life nutrition: claire roberts23 May 2014
Creating a ‘real life nutrition’ series is something I have been thinking about for a while now. Instead of just sharing with you what I think you should cook and eat, I wanted to offer a look into the lives of real people, showcasing their daily successes and struggles with health. As I learn all the time with my clients (and myself!), healthy living is not just about following a strict diet plan. Instead, it is about creating a lifestyle that fits with your work schedule, social life and personality. Being able to feel and look great while still enjoying yourself is the ultimate goal, and to me, the definition of healthy living. My hope is that by peaking into a ‘day in the life’ of different people you will be inspired by their positive actions and take comfort in their imperfections as you work to find balance of your own.
So, onto my my good friend, Claire, who has so kindly volunteered to be the first!
1. Name: Claire
2. Occupation: Digital communications
3. Breakfast is usually: A smoothie or peanut butter on toast
4. Coffee, tea or green juice: Tea
5. Favourite time + place to grocery shop: I love to do my shopping at the St. Lawrence Market during the week, usually after work if I can make it. It’s not so busy and I’ve got go-to vendors I can always depend on.
6. Exercise routine: I walk my dog 3 times a day and on the weekends we go for longer hikes. I also try and toss in a fitness class here and there.
7. Favourite way to wind down and relax: I try and relax by reading before bed or curling up and watching a movie on a quiet Sunday.
8. Biggest health obstacle: My sweet tooth. It usually hits around 3 p.m. and I crave something sweet to get me through the rest of the day. Or after dinner treats – I never say no to dessert!
9. How you make time for health in your life: I try and avoid buying lunch every day while I’m at work. Lunch options wind up being terrible – even the places that claim they’re healthy are terrible. So, I like to pack my lunch and healthy snacks every night so I’m not out buying junk during the day. For example, I pack salads + a protein, almonds, Mary’s crackers, unsweetened apple sauce, or some fresh cut fruit.
10. One thing you will never give up: Chocolate
11. Always in your fridge: Reusable glass bottles of water…and pickles.
12. Go-to meal + recipe: Tacos!…taco night is a big night at my place.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Corn tortillas
- Red cabbage
- Chili flakes
- Hot salsa (not the terrible Tostitos brand)
- Cook two chicken breasts. I like to bake them, let them cool and then shred the chicken with a fork. Set aside.
- Next, prep time: dice fresh pineapple (not too chunky), thinly slice red cabbage (for some good crunch), dice your avocados (or mash and turn into guacamole if you’re so inclined), clean cilantro and roughly chop the leaves, set out some hot sauce and your toppings are ready!
- Now put the shredded chicken into a frying pan and add a little vegetable oil, salt and pepper, freshly squeezed lemon and let simmer on medium-high heat. Then I add a spoonful of fresh hot salsa (I get great stuff from the St. Lawrence Market) and some chili flakes for extra heat (if you wish). Simmer until nice and hot.
- At the same time, heat your corn tortillas (either on a frying pan…no oil needed, or in the oven.
- Then assemble your tacos. They’re super easy and fun, with a little prep time involved. Plus, the keep well and make great leftovers for lunch.
photo: claire roberts