real life nutrition: greg hitchman28 July 2014
Because guys have health highs and lows too (and sweet recipes they’ve learned from their moms)…
1. Name: Greg Hitchman
2. Occupation: President, Naylor Group
3. Breakfast is usually: Coffee and a bran muffin.
4. Coffee, tea or green juice: Coffee… what’s green juice?
5. Favourite time + place to grocery shop: Loblaws, Queen and Portland.
6. Always in your cart: Garlic, onions, mushrooms, lemons and some type of meat. I like Loblaws because they have organic meats that are hard to find at regular grocery stores near my apartment.
7. Exercise routine: At the office around 11am I like to run 5km on the treadmill, followed by casual weights. I put a gym in at work because it makes it really convenient to exercise, plus it allows me to let out some energy and refocus midday. Most nights and weekends I play either hockey, squash, tennis, golf, depending on the season. Plus when take a vacation I am alway doing something active like skiing, hiking or biking. It makes it easier to lead an active lifestyle by doing the things I enjoy outdoors.
8. Favourite way to wind down and relax: When I get home from a busy day I like to sit on my patio and read. I usually turn off my phone for at least an hour to disconnect.
9. Biggest health obstacle: Definitely partying with friends. Living downtown there is always something going on and it is hard to turn down. That is why I try to stay active as much as I can to counter some of the damage I am sure I am doing.
10. How you make time for health in your life: Ensuring I am active everyday.
11. One thing you will never give up: Beer.
12. Always in your fridge: Beer, butter, eggs.
13. Your cooking inspiration comes from: While I was at university in Montreal my roommate used to cook for us almost every night. He made everything from scratch: curry, mussels, beans, stews…whatever he did was alway delicious. He made it look really easy, too. My favourite was his fried rice with egg. It tasted way better than takeout and without anything processed. I learned to enjoy cooking from him, and my mom and sister, of course.
14. Go-to meal + recipe: Chicken roasted with tomatoes and vegetables. My mom introduced me to this one pot meal and it is easy, healthy and tastes great. Girls are alway impressed when I cook this for them.
|Greg’s Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes and Vegetables||
- 2 chicken breasts (I use Blue Goose organic when I can)
- 1 can of plum tomato
- 4-6 red skinned potatoes
- Handful of brussels sprouts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- Big handful green beans
- Big handful of spinach
- Fresh rosemary
- Chopped fresh chill peppers for spice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Roughly chop all vegetables, herbs and chill peppers
- Put all ingredients together in a Pyrex dish or large cast iron pan
- Put in oven for 40- 45min until cooked through
real life nutrition is a series I created to showcase a variety of real people and their daily relationship with health. My hope is that you can identify with the ups and downs we all experience when trying to make time for health in our lives and be inspired by these stories.