real life nutrition: kaelen haworth18 December 2014
1. Name: Kaelen Haworth
2. Occupation: Clothing Designer, KAELEN
3. Breakfast is usually: Recently it has been egg cups (I mix egg, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, spinach, red peppers, chicken sausage and then bake in muffin cups), used to be smoothies from the juice press but that has changed because a) it is expensive and b) there is always a massive line, and c) is it even good too have that much fruit in a day?
4. Coffee, tea or green juice: Definitely coffee, although I do like green juice….and I like tea…but coffee.
5. Favourite time + place to grocery shop: Wholefoods on Bowery, I also love Union market near my apartment, they have a lot of fresh and local food. I also like the farmers market at Union Square, but it is very busy. Ideally, I would go in the morning on the weekend, but that never works out. I usually shop at 7 or 8 at night during the week.
6. Always in your cart: Garlic, lemon (I put lemon on everything), olive oil, challah bread (for my husband Simon), chicken, fish, basil, I love basil on everything, mixed lettuce, avocado and deli meats (nitrate free), dark chocolate, usually some kind of cheese (if I am not actively trying to not eat cheese), wine. And cashew butter. I have been going through a phase of eating cashew butter with a spoon to stave off what I think are worse cravings. Probably not ideal but it is what it is!
7. Exercise routine: It depends, I like class stuff since I won’t motivate myself (I pretend that dance cardio is really going to help my muscle definition), run on a treadmill, nike training app for strength training since its hard to make mistakes when they spell it out for you so clearly.
8. Favourite way to wind down and relax: Cooking, wine, hanging out with people I like, reading. I like books more than people sometimes.
9. Biggest health obstacle: Going out a lot after work, trying not to drink, things always being thrown at you. It is hard to explain to people if you are trying not to drink or just be healthier in general – everyone wants you to go down with them.
10. How you make time for health in your life: I try to work out because it makes me feel better, adds balance. I have a lot of baths, I have a litre bottle of water that I fill up twice daily (mostly, because someone once told me that it would make my skin look younger and my ass smaller, so I drink it).
11. Once think you will never give up: Tequila, also chocolate, I mean there are a lot of things I will never give up….
12. Always in your fridge: Eggs, deli meat (I eat it at random throughout the day sometimes – that’s so weird, but its true), condiments, really old greens that we never ate, almond butter which I put in the fridge (which simon hates), pepper jam from Bermuda (someone always brings us back pepper jam from Bermuda), oh and Philadelphia cream cheese because Simon thinks it’s ‘the peoples cheese’.
13. Your cooking inspiration comes from: My mom cooked all the time and she is an excellent cook, so that is definitely where I pick up the enjoyment; embarrassed to say Gwyneth, she is annoying but she is good; living in a major city gives you access to really good food which is an inspiration; I cook simple food with really good ingredients and I love going to the market since I never know what I will make, I just selected from what looks the best which is a new way of cooking for me.
14. Go-to meal + recipe: lately it has been turkey meatballs with spaghetti squash.
|Kaelen’s Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash||
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- Fresh parsley, oregano and thyme
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- 24 oz can of tomatoes (I try to find BPA free)
- Sea salt
- Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Cut a spaghetti squash in half, scoop out all the seeds and stringy bits and discard
- Roast it in the oven on a baking sheet cut side down for about 50 minutes (that becomes your “spaghetti” once you shred it with a fork)
- For the meatballs, mix a pound of ground turkey with a handful of chopped parsley, ½ a yellow onion (chopped), 2 cloves of garlic (chopped), 1 egg, coconut aminos, salt and pepper and form into balls (any size you want)
- Brown the meatballs in a pan over med/high heat in a bit of oil (I use coconut for higher heat but it tends to leave a lingering taste)
- Once they are all browned, set aside
- In a saucepan, sauté the other half of that onion (chopped) and 2 more cloves of garlic (chopped), in some olive oil
- After about 4 minutes, add the can of diced tomatoes, chopped fresh oregano and thyme (eyeball it) and salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and drop the pre-browned meatballs into the simmering sauce
- Let that simmer for about 25 minutes, the more time it simmers the better
- Run a fork through the flesh of the squash and it should shred very easily. Do this to both halves
- Spoon the shredded spaghetti squash onto plates (1 squash should yield about 4 servings) and then spoon the meatballs sauce mixture onto the squash
- Top with chopped parsley and parmesan if you want
real life nutrition is a series showcasing a variety of real people and their daily relationship with health. My hope is that you can identify with the ups and downs we all experience when trying to make time for health in our lives, and be inspired by these stories.