real life nutrition: megan schwarz17 June 2015
1. Name: Megan Schwarz
2. Occupation: Attorney / Founder of online natural beauty boutique, Seed to Serum
3. Breakfast is usually: Green smoothie + sprouted grain toast with grass-fed butter. My current go-to green smoothie is a mix of almond milk, baby kale, banana, frozen berries, and oats. Yum!
4. Coffee, tea or green juice: Iced coffee in the morning, green juice in the afternoon.
5. Favourite time + place to grocery shop: My husband and I typically hit our trifecta – Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Whole Foods – on Saturday or Sunday. Three grocery stores seems high maintenance, but it’s honestly not as crazy as it sounds! Costco is fantastic for greens and fruit, Trader Joe’s for every day staples, and Whole Foods for whatever hard-to-find items I’m obsessing over at the moment.
6. Always in your cart: Kombucha. I have big plans to someday make this wonder elixir myself, but I haven’t yet found the time and/or am very intimidated!
7. Exercise routine: Yoga and running. I need both to keep me from getting bored!
8. Favourite way to wind down and relax: I really wish that I could say meditation, but most nights it’s more like a little Netflix before bed. On really stressful nights, I will do an hour of Yin Yoga (holding stretches for 3-5 minutes) right before I hop into bed.
9. Biggest health obstacle: SUGAR! I know that it’s incredibly damaging to my skin and my health, but I have tendency to rationalize things like say, vegan cookies (vegan means it’s healthy right?!) However, I recently made a commitment to (mostly!) eliminate it from my diet and it’s been going really well so far!
10. How you make time for health in your life: Planning. At night, I decide when I am going to fit in my workout the next day and I plan my meals. Spontaneity is definitely fun sometimes, but if left to my own devices I would be eating a burger and blowing off yoga every day.
11. One thing you will never give up: SUGAR! But only on special occasions and only if it’s really worth it (I promise!)
12. Always in your fridge: Probiotics. I once read that the best probiotics need to be refrigerated and I have only been buying brands that require it ever since!
13. Your cooking inspiration comes from: Blogs and vegan cookbooks. I tend to get in food ruts so when I’m in desperate need of something new, I download a new cookbook from Amazon or scan the archives of my favorite blogs!
14. Go-to meal + recipe: This is probably where I should detail some type of superfood recipe, but instead I am giving you my recipe for the Best Ever Vegan Fudge
|Megan’s Best Ever Vegan Fudge||
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup high quality, virgin coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw hazelnuts (key!)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whirl these ingredients together in a food processor until smooth, transfer to a small parchment-paper lined baking dish, refrigerate until solid, cut and enjoy! Super easy, total crowd-pleaser, and incredibly delicious!