a flu-fighting tea that passes the test16 January 2013
My brother came over last night for dinner and was complaining of a sore throat, stuffed nose and a bad cough. (nice dinner guest, right?) Throughout the night his symptoms seemed to get worse and he asked me if I had any cold medicine. Of course the answer was no, so I instead offered to whip him up a immune fighting, bacterial killing, mucous loosening, pain relieving warm concoction for him to sip on. A little shocked at first, probably due to years of artificial lemon tasting Neocitron conditioning, he began to drink his flu-fighter with pleasure! And to MY pleasure, he admitted it actually worked!
- 1 bag of Yogi Echenacia tea (you can use any herbal tea, or just hot water. I choose this for the added punch of immune strengthening Echinacea along with the other health promoting herbs in the tea blend)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp raw, unpasteurized local honey
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in boiling water
- Let steep for 5 minutes and serve
This flu season, instead of taking a mega dose of drugs that can only give you temporary relief from pain and often come along with negative side effects, why not heal yourself naturally by building your immune system so you can fight the bugs that are dragging you down. Fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices all have high levels of nutrients + antioxidants and consuming them regularly is a great way for you to keep your immune system going strong this winter!
*these recommendations are meant for normally healthy individuals. Those that are immunocompromised, elderly or sick for a long duration of time should consult their physician.