inside the brand: tara of meow meow tweet3 July 2014
I’m sure it comes as no surprise that I have fallen completely in love with natural skin and daily care products. I want to credit this solely to the clean, healing ingredients they contain, but in fact so much is due to the unique and extremely passionate people behind these lines. The stories of what drives individuals to work so hard, against the grain, to make products that will cause no harm us, our families or the environment is what really pulls me in.
The goal of my new series, ‘inside the brand’, is to connect you with these creative people whose blood, sweat and love goes into each and every product. They all have their different reasons for doing what they do, each being equally admirable and inspiring.
To start the series, a Q+A with Meow Meow Tweet co-founder Tara Pelletier (complete with a promo!) I hope you enjoy Tara and her wonderful products as much as I do.
1. Inspiration behind the brand in five lines or less: Well, for the formulations, we take inspiration from the local and artisanal food movements. There’s nothing like a beautiful ingredient from a nearby garden or farm to get the creative juices flowing. The drawings on our packaging are inspired by our cats and whimsical stories that we make up about animals- we especially love animals doing human things or interspecies romance.
2. First thing you do when you wake up: Feed the cats. Most likely because they’ve already been staring at me for an hour to get up and do it.
3. Can’t live without: Jeff, my partner.
4. Time of day you are most creative/productive: Early morning til about 1.
5. Favourite meal: Definitely simple Japanese food like onigiri and ramen. I also love sushi. Vegan, of course.
6. Guilty pleasure: I love french fries and ketchup. Or hash browns and ketchup. Or home fries and ketchup. Basically any crispy potato with sweet tomatoey paste. Non food, guilty pleasure is probably clothes shopping without buying. I love trying stuff on but I have trouble committing!
7. How to you switch off/relax: Watch a movie or a TV show with Jeff. Or ride bikes to the East River and have lunch.
8. City or county: Both!
9. Music you rock out to while working: Currently, Motown from the 60’s. Especially the girl groups. Ask me in a month and I’ll be onto something new (last month is was progressive, psychedelic rock, namely Pink Floyd).
10. Always in your fridge: Whole grain mustard, a collection of vinegars, ketchup, soy sauce and peanut butter. (i.e. condiments)
11. Best part about switching to natural: Understanding the ingredients’ list.
12. All time favourite Meow Meow Tweet product: Deodorant, for sure.
I want you to experience this awesome company for yourself: take 15% off your first Health Hut order to include any Meow Meow Tweet product with promo code MEOWLOVE